By Laura –
In a funny turn of events…
I thought I was making myself a lovely elixir to help me fall asleep. Instead I’m sitting here awake at 5 am writing this to you because I completely forgot cacao could act as a stimulant. Oops!
In the end, what was a happy accident it was! I discovered a healthy #migrainebrain hot chocolate packed with ingredients that fuel both your body and help to heal your body from migraine. This drink is great for those of us with migraine because of its high fat content, boost of magnesium and adaptogens.
In this creamy, hot chocolate-esque elixir you’ll find:
– Healthy fats from the coconut milk (Try to buy one with the least amount of ingredients on the label!)
– Magnesium, zinc, iron and fibre from the cacao
– A large dose of amino acids from the collagen powder
– Stress relieving, immune system boosting, and rejuvenating adaptogenic properties from the ashwagandha.
Can it get any better? I don’t think so. I’ll be sitting here, sipping my get-up and go drink and kicking some migraine butt. Join me?
Recipe: Energizing Cacao Elixir
Makes 2 servings
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground cardamom
¼ tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp. pepper
sprinkle of salt
1 tsp. ground cacao powder
½ tsp. ground ashwagandha
1 scoop collagen powder
2 tsp. virgin coconut oil
2 tsp. raw honey
1) In a small pot, bring milk to a low boil over medium-low heat.
2) Whisk in the spices, cacao, collagen powder and ashwagandha until no clumps appear.
3) Add coconut oil, reduce heat, and let simmer until warmed and oil has melted (5–10 minutes). A longer cooking time will increase the medicinal benefits.
4) When ready to drink, remove from heat and stir in honey (Do not add honey until removed from heat to preserve it’s healing properties). Divide into two mugs: one for today, one for tomorrow, or one to share now, and get going!
(Recipe based from Bon Appetit)